East Midlands Education Trust
Proposed transfer of Limehurst Academy to East Midlands Education Trust (EMET)
In selecting the right multi-academy trust for the school, we were looking for:
- One which recognises us as an extremely successful school.
- One in which we would retain our autonomy to run our school for our community.
- One which doesn’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach.
- One which is large enough to bring the benefits we are looking for, but not so big that we become ‘lost’.
- One which puts children and staff first.
The Chair of trustees and Headteacher met with a number of larger Trusts, and it became clear that East Midlands Education Trust was the only one which met all of our objectives. We were particularly impressed with:
- Its charter, summarised by this line: A partnership of willing, proud and autonomous schools.
- Its geographical proximity; started and based at West Bridgford School
- Its size: 7 primaries, 6 secondaries & one alternative provision school.
- Its cautious approach to growth: no new secondaries since 2016, and all partners have joined voluntarily.
- The fact that the school’s local governing body retains autonomy – specified in the terms of reference and validated by other headteachers.
- The support it can offer with governance.
- Its excellent CPD provision, including the provision of NPQs for its staff.
- The career opportunities for staff that would arise.
- Its teacher-training provision.
- The research it carried out on Limehurst, which was far superior to any other Trust we spoke with.
- The advantages that it thinks Limehurst can bring to the Trust
Potential benefits to Limehurst
- Access to capital funding to improve outdoor sports facilities to benefit students and the wider community, and bring in lettings income.
- Retaining a local governing body, while members and trustees operate at Trust level.
- Being in EMET aids the recruitment and retention of staff, and offers staff greater professional development opportunities.
- Our excellent standards since 2017 means that Limehurst can add capacity to the Trust in terms of school improvement, particularly at middle and senior leadership level.
- The strength in numbers of being part of a larger Trust, which would have been welcomed over the past six months.
Please get in touch with any comments or questions.
The consultation closes at 3:00pm on Sunday 8th November 2020.