Year 7 Catch-Up Premium
The Department for Education provides additional numeracy and literacy catch up funding to state schools for Year 7 pupils who have not achieved the 'age-expected standard' in reading and/or mathematics at Key Stage 2.
The funding was set at £500 per pupil in 2015/16 and Limehurst Academy has been allocated the same amount for each Year 7 pupil for the next two academic years based on the size of our Year 7 cohort. This has enabled us to target pupils who need help to catch up with their peers. For 2017/18 this has been £8,317.
We use the funding to provide additional staffing for Year 7 to facilitate smaller teaching groups across the curriculum. This has allowed focused support for catch up purposes in all subjects but specifically in English and Mathematics.
- Pupils are taught in small groups with focused TA/EAL support
- English catch up resources for reading and writing have been purchased.
- Everyone Can Read and Fresh Start are phonics based intervention programmes that run Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before school and after school.
- Pupils are given the opportunity to read with reading mentors as part of the Go for Reading initiative to encourage reluctant readers.
- English and Mathematics enhancement sessions to build confidence and skills take place after school.
- Some pupils are withdrawn from MFL to have additional Mathematics and English intervention.
- Numicon catch up resources have been purchased to develop basic number skills, mathematical problem solving and investigation and to give a visual practical approach to learning.
- A weekly social skills group to develop self-esteem and communication skills takes place for targeted pupils.
- EAL support for key pupils where language is the determining factor for progress is provided in the form of classroom and one to one support to develop spoken English, reading and comprehension.
- Daily Library support for targeted pupils to help them choose books and complete homework tasks is provided.
- Lunchtime and after school homework clubs enable pupils to be supported with key skills.
- Focused mathematic resources to help prepare catch up pupils for assessment tasks have been purchased.